When I was writing A CRACK IN THE SEA, I didn’t exactly research Raftworlds—because I was pretty sure they didn’t exist. But as I was writing, I became a magnet for stories about floating cities and floating islands—I ran across them everywhere, and friends sent me many articles and links. Here are a few. Maybe one will spark your own imagination for a story!
- Here are some designs for possible floating cities—note that these don’t exist yet except in the designer’s imagination.
- Here are some people with actual plans to build a floating city.
- And here’s a video of one of these planned (but not yet built) floating cities.
- And here are some of the problems the builders face.
- Here are some ACTUAL “floating villages” located around the world (however, most of them don’t really FLOAT—they’re on stilts).
- Here’s a real-life floating island home, located in Canada near Vancouver Island.
- Here’s a floating island built out of recycled materials (like plastic bottles).
- And here’s a short video about the Bajau people (near the Philippines and Borneo), who live most or all of their lives at sea, in stilt houses and/or on houseboats.